No charges in weekend River Run Trail shooting

UPDATE (May 4, 2021):

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (ADAMS) – Investigators in Fort Wayne say the confession from the man who pulled the trigger in a weekend shooting matches the evidence found at the scene. On Monday, prosecutors said they are not filing charges in the case. They say it looks like self-defense.

Police say the man called 911 not long after a shooting on River Run Trail Sunday night and turned himself in.

Investigators are not saying just what happened, but the story from the man matches what they found at the shooting scene.

Read more here


FORT WAYNE, Ind. (ADAMS) – Police in Fort Wayne say the suspect in a shooting called 911 to turn themself in. The shooting happened Sunday night on the River Run Trail.

Police say the victim is fighting for their life at a local hospital. Officers say the suspected gunman called 911 shortly after the shooting and surrendered.

There’s no word on a motive for the shooting or any information about the victim or the suspect.

FWPD officials released the following:

On 5/2/2021 at approximately 8:34 pm Officers’ with The Fort Wayne Police Department responded to 5700 River Run Trail in regards to a shooting. Dispatch received a call from a female advising that her boyfriend got shot and gave the above address.

Officers arrived on scene and located an adult male suffering from apparent gunshot wounds. The victim was treated by Medics at the scene and transported to a local hospital with life threatening injuries. He was immediately taken into surgery.

Multiple witnesses called 911 advising that they saw a grey toyota corolla leaving the area at a high rate of speed, possibly driven by an adult male white. A vehicle matching that description was later located at a residence on the 4400 block of Tamarack Dr. The resident of that address allowed Officers to search the home for the suspect, who was not located there.

A short time later, Dispatch received a call from the suspect stating that he wanted to turn himself in. Officers made contact with the suspect, who was taken into custody and interviewed by Detectives.

At this time the victim is still in critical condition.