Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
– The white dashed lane lines on the highway are each 10 feet long. Most people estimate them to be around two feet.
– The three most painful insect stings are from the bullet ant, warrior wasp, and tarantula hawk spider wasp.
– When Zachary Taylor was president and he was speaking at Dolley Madison’s funeral, he invented the term “First Lady.”
– Hawaii has the record for highest low temperature and the lowest high temperature in the U.S. Its all-time low was 15 degrees . . . and its all-time high is 98.
– Howard Johnson hotels are a luxury brand in China . . . they’re all four- or five-star hotels.
Strange and trending news:
– The USPS just showed off what their new postal trucks will look like . . . and they kind of look like they have faces, which drew a lot of comparisons to cars in Pixar movies. (Full Story)
– A guy in Alabama was convicted of escaping from jail . . . then breaking BACK IN to smuggle in drugs. (Full Story)
– American Airlines is not denying that one of its planes encountered a UFO on Sunday . . . and they say any questions need to go to the FBI. (Full Story)
– Dunkin’ is bringing avocado toast to its menu. (Full Story)
– Here’s a collection of photos people shared to show they’re “living with a monster.” Imagine things like bites taken out of sticks of butter, that kind of stuff. (Full Story)
– Taco Bell announced they’re getting in on the fried chicken sandwich wars by making a fried chicken taco . . . and now Popeyes is trolling them on Twitter. (Full Story)
– A park in Vancouver called Dude Chilling Park just had its sign stolen for the third time. (Full Story)
– A man in Massachusetts spray painted a woman after they got in an argument in a parking lot. (Full Story)
– A birdwatcher in Pennsylvania spotted a rare cardinal that’s half male, half female, split right down the middle . . . red on one side, brownish-white on the other. (Full Story)
– A library at the University of Michigan had to shut down for two days after a group of venomous spiders was found in the basement. (Full Story)
– According to Gallup’s latest poll, 5.6% of adults in the U.S. identify as LGBT . . . that’s the highest percentage ever. (Full Story)