Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
– Only 5% of the calls routed to fire departments in the U.S. are for actual fires. Most of them are for medical emergencies.
– Can openers were invented in 1858 . . . which is 48 years after cans. During those years in between, the most popular way to open cans was smashing them with a hammer and chisel.
– Your rectum has similar cells to your mouth . . . which is why spicy foods can burn on the way out as much as they do when you’re eating them.
– There are only two companies with a perfect “AAA” credit rating: Johnson & Johnson and Microsoft.
– Antarctica gets about 44,000 tourists a year . . . that’s up from 5,000 tourists a year in 1990.
Strange and trending news:
– A real estate listing in Florida is going viral for, quote, “literally the worst house on the street.” (Full Story)
– Facebook has apologized to an 81-year-old woman who knitted a white pig . . . and the post got flagged for hate speech. (Full Story)
– A sea creature that looks, well, exactly like male genitalia is going viral on Facebook. (Full Story)
– Someone stole every single bottle from a wine store in Manhattan . . . around 2,000 bottles worth $300,000. (Full Story)
– A police standoff in Australia ended after seven hours when the cops stormed the home . . . and found out there was no one inside. (Full Story)
– A popular “1960s Chinese traditional fruit basket” for sale on Amazon is actually a chamber pot that people in China would buy to use as a mobile toilet. (Full Story)
– Night owls are twice as likely to struggle at work as people who naturally wake up early. (Full Story)
– A man survived in open water in the Pacific for 14 HOURS by clinging to a buoy before he was miraculously rescued. (Full Story)