Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- Asia has a larger surface area than the moon. Asia is 17.2 million square miles; the moon is 14.6 million square miles.
- Megan Fox and the Olsen Twins are the same age . . . 31 years old. Megan was born May 16, 1986 . . . the Olsen Twins were born June 13, 1986.
- The geographical center of North America is a town in North Dakota named . . . Center. And that name is just a coincidence.
- The tradition of athletes growing their beards while their teams are in the playoffs started with the New York Islanders, during their Stanley Cup runs from 1980 through 1983.
- The official state vegetable of Oklahoma is . . . the watermelon. The senator who proposed it says it comes from the cucumber family, so it should be classified as a vegetable, not a fruit. The National Watermelon Promotion Board says it’s BOTH.
Strange and trending news:
- Today is National Anthem Day. (Full Story)
- A woman in Florida used a CAT to attack her male roommate . . . who also happens to be her ex-boyfriend. (Full Story)
- A 19-year-old college student in the U.K. went crazy when her favorite lottery numbers came up in a $253 million drawing on Friday . . . until she realized this was the ONE WEEK she forgot to buy a ticket. (Full Story)
- Amazon recently changed the logo of their app on iPhones . . . but now they’ve tweaked it again after people thought the app looked like it had a Hitler mustache. (Full Story)
- Two dudes in Australia were on an inflatable mattress that got swept two miles out to sea . . . but they only panicked when they ran out of beer. (Full Story)
- Sonic is selling new milkshakes that have a scoop of cookie dough on top. (Full Story)
- Sonic has also teamed up with a brewery to make a line of hard seltzers based on the flavors of their slushes. (Full Story)
- A woman in Pennsylvania went to her probation appointment with 30 bags of heroin in her purse. (Full Story)
- A guy in Florida was arrested after he used hair spray and a lighter to make a flamethrower during a burglary. (Full Story)
- Almost one-third of Americans say they’d consider the idea of splitting up the country into five different countries. (Full Story)
- The National Weather Service accidentally issued a tornado warning to more than a million people’s cell phones in Arkansas, Missouri, and Kansas yesterday. It was only supposed to be a test. (Full Story)
- Seresto flea collars have been linked to almost 1,700 pet deaths . . . and 1,000 cases where the pesticides they use have caused problems for humans. But so far, the EPA hasn’t issued a warning about them. (Full Story)