Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- There are 18 fictional characters with stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The most recent are Alvin and the Chipmunks, who got their star in 2019 . . . Mickey Mouse was first, in 1978.
- The U.S. has the highest drinking age in North or South America. The next closest is Paraguay, at 20.
- The United States military has a MAXIMUM height cutoff. No one over 6-foot-8 can enlist.
- The “Guinness Book of World Records” has discontinued some of its categories, including raw egg consumption . . . heaviest pet . . . and most beers consumed in an hour.
- Elephants have more genes related to smell than any other animal. They have five times more scent genes than humans . . . and twice as many as dogs.
Strange and trending news:
- Today is National Superhero Day and International Guide Dog Day.
- A teenage driver in Massachusetts accidentally slammed through the front of a Napa Auto Parts store on Sunday. No one was injured in the crash. (Full Story)
- A woman in the U.K. was in an Uber earlier this month and the driver drove straight into a canal. And she was still charged for the ride. (Full Story)
- A new study found services like Lyft and Uber have led to an increase in traffic and congestion . . . and a drop in how many people are taking public transportation. (Full Story)
- The CEO of a startup that’s worth $2 billion was fired for taking LSD at work before a meeting. (Full Story)
- A rabbi who’s been part of an ultra-Orthodox Jewish community in Israel is now accused of secretly being a Christian missionary from New Jersey who went undercover to try to convert people to Christianity. (Full Story)
- A drunk woman in Florida was arrested after she kept trying to give strangers lap dances, asked the cops to get it on, and threatened to beat up any paramedics that came near her. (Full Story)
- Two men in Pennsylvania agreed to meet to FIGHT last week . . . but they wound up stabbing each other. They’re both facing aggravated assault charges. (Full Story)
- Someone planted a bomb in a porta-potty in Colorado on Sunday. Fortunately, no one was hurt. (Full Story)
- The “New York Times” is renaming its Op-Ed page. They’re still going to have editorials from the staff . . . and then “Guest Essays” from other people. (Full Story)
- A new study found using Night Shift mode on your phone at night doesn’t help you sleep better. (Full Story)