Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- The most abused Social Security number ever has been used in fraud by at least 40,000 different people. It belonged to a secretary at a wallet company. In 1938, Social Security cards were new, and the secretary’s boss wanted people to see how they looked in a wallet. So, every one of their wallets came with a sample Social Security card inside . . . with her number on it.
- Tetanus isn’t caused by the rust on rusty nails . . . the rust is just a perfect breeding ground for the bacteria that causes tetanus.
- Disney World is twice the size of Manhattan. The Disney parks in Florida cover 43 square miles, and Manhattan is 22 square miles. It also means Disney World is roughly the same size as San Francisco.
- The current water speed record is 318 miles-per-hour . . . an Australian guy set that record in his boat in 1978. Since then, everyone who’s tried to break it has DIED. In fact, since 1940, people trying to set or break the record have an 85% fatality rate.
- If you took all the duct tape sold around the world every year, it would go around the equator more than 12 times.
Strange and trending news:
- Today is National No Pants Day. (Full Story)
- An annual study found if you added up everything a stay-at-home mom does, she’d earn a salary of $184,000. (Full Story)
- There’s a new TikTok trend where people are using perfume as hair dye . . . which is really terrible for your hair. (Full Story)
- A woman robbed a bank in California on Wednesday and tried to use a bus to get away. She was holding a bank bag full of cash on the bus and she was arrested. (Full Story)
- A guy in California robbed a 7-Eleven with a samurai sword. (Full Story)
- The average person puts 5,865 things in shopping carts at online stores every year . . . but then decides not to buy them. (Full Story)
- After all these years, the early viral video stars FINALLY have a way to cash in thanks to NFTs. The famous “David After Dentist” kid is selling an NFT of his video now. (Full Story)
- Frito-Lay had to recall lots of bags of their Ruffles All Dressed potato chips after they figured out they put the wrong flavor in them. (Full Story)
- A state senator in Ohio was busted using a fake office background in a Zoom when he was actually driving. And the debate was on . . . distracted driving. (Full Story)