Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- The company that makes Swiss Army knives is Victorinox. They’ve been in business since 1884 . . . and they’ve never laid off an employee.
- The movie “A Christmas Story” is based on some short stories that were originally published in “Playboy”.
- One of the creators of “Baywatch” was legally blind. Even though 90% of his vision was gone, he wound up directing 40 episodes.
- There have been 1,066 different final score combinations in NFL history. The most recent addition was the Cleveland Browns beating the Pittsburgh Steelers 48-to-37 on January 10th . . . there’d never been a 48-to-37 final score before.
The most common final score? 20-17. It’s happened 269 times in NFL history.
- One of the very first items ever sold on eBay in 1995 was a broken laser pointer, for $14.83. When the founder of eBay asked why the guy bought it, he said, quote, “I’m a collector of broken laser pointers.”
Strange and trending news:
- Today is National Fudge Day. Just in case you needed an excuse. (Full Story)
- The husband of the South African woman who gave birth to a record 10 babies wants everyone to stop donating to her until she PROVES it happened. He hasn’t seen the babies yet, and no doctor has confirmed the birth. (Full Story)
- There was a time when owning your own home was a part of the American dream. Now, 1-in-6 Americans would prefer to rent . . . including 1-in-3 young adults under the age of 25. (Full Story)
- This is random: Plastic bottles are now being converted into vanilla flavoring using genetically engineered bacteria. Great. Now, can we turn something . . . aluminum cans, maybe . . . into pumpkin spice? (Full Story)
- White Castle was selling cake slices on a stick . . . and now, they’re taking it to the next level by selling a full-on, eight-piece birthday cake on a stick. (Full Story)
- Someone stole 160 campaign signs from a woman who’s running for mayor in Calgary, Canada. Then, he called her to complain about the signs . . . using his real name . . . and outright admitted to jacking them. (Full Story)
- An 18-year-old girl got locked out of her house and then decided to try to get in SANTA-STYLE through the CHIMNEY. She got stuck and had to be rescued by firefighters. It took them a half hour to get her out. (Full Story)