Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- Florida is the flattest state in the U.S. Kansas has the reputation for being the flattest state . . . but it came in seventh.
- The only place where the Venus flytrap grows natively is within 60 miles of Wilmington, North Carolina. If they’re growing anywhere else, it’s because they’ve been transplanted there.
- In the 1930s, a brand of toilet paper called Northern Bath Tissue marketed itself with the slogan, “100% Splinter Free.” Because that was not always a guarantee with toilet paper back then.
- Pine weevil insects place their feces next to their eggs to keep predators away.
- The area of Wisconsin was spelled O-u-i-s-c-o-n-s-i-n from when it was discovered in the 1600s through the 1820s, when the U.S. government started spelling it “Wisconsin” in official documents.
Strange and trending news:
- A guy from Georgia who’s been dressing up as a Home Depot employee to steal merchandise from stores in the Florida panhandle was finally caught and arrested. (Full Story)
- A new study found rich people feel good about themselves . . . but all their money doesn’t make them care more about other people. (Full Story)
- Dunkin’ Donuts has launched a new line of jellybeans that taste like their different iced coffee flavors. (Full Story)
- A guy in Australia set a world record by running a marathon in 16 hours and 12 minutes while he pulled a 1.6-ton truck behind him. (Full Story)
- A woman in Missouri managed to smuggle a four-inch gun into jail by hiding it in her lady parts . . . and the jail staff didn’t find out about it until 17 days later. (Full Story)
- A cat that went missing four years ago has been reunited with its owner. The cat wandered all the way from New Jersey to Pittsburgh. (Full Story)
- A guy in Washington had to be rescued after he was trapped under a 1,500-pound bale of hay. The person who owns the hay said the guy didn’t have permission to be there and hadn’t bought the hay. (Full Story)
- Potatoes are coming back to Taco Bell’s menu next Thursday. (Full Story)
- A guy is going viral after he took a video while he was stuck on a chairlift for hours and he really needed to pee. (Full Story)
- A guy in Florida was arrested after he sped through a crash site in his BMW at 100 miles per hour. He was wearing boxers and one sock, and he told the cops he was on his way to do some important business at the Ritz-Carlton. (Full Story)
- A former police chief in Maryland is facing arson and attempted murder charges after he set people’s homes, garages, and cars on fire after he had arguments with them. His victims included other cops, his doctors, and a city official. (Full Story)
- This is frightening. A man from Tennessee who kidnapped his teenage daughter 17 months ago is being called almost impossible to trace because he’s, quote, “an IT expert specializing in security, blockchain technology, and Bitcoin.” (Full Story)